2009-01-25

Seven cookies week day 6*: Maple syrup cookies with pine nuts

Part 1: Is there failure baking in my oven?
I'm usually good at following directions and keeping two thoughts in my head simultaneously. Yeah, apparently not today. I'm using another recipe from Winnie the Pooh's Cookie Book, just like yesterday, and reading through the ingredient list I realized I didn't have enough butter. Well no worries, I thought, I'll just halve it. So I halved the butter. Then I saw that these cookies had brown sugar, white sugar, syrup (molasses) and maple syrup in them. Ok, I'll omit the white sugar and up the brown sugar just a little to make them not super super sweet but just super sweet. So I did. I blended it all together, into a nice creamy sugary syrupy goodness. And realized that I had forgotten to halve the ingredients. So right now I have cookies with half the amount of butter, but regular amounts of the other ingredients (well, besides white sugar), baking in my oven. Oh, and no raisins or all-spice either. They smell very nice though, and the dough seemed okay, so I'm hoping for the best here. I really want to get better at kitchen chemistry. I know my way around flavors and I'm comfortable with exotic ingredients and difficult preparations, but I can't figure out what will happen with a cookie dough that has half the prescribed amount of butter in it. Okay, timer's going off now, need to get these freaks out of the oven.

Part 2: The verdict
So, the first batch are out. They do look very nice and normal. Is it all apperance though? Time to take a bite... *nam nam munch munch*...damn, these are good! Warm, sugary spicy flavor and the pine nuts giving a sofisticated toasted note. Not a failure at all, my friends. Okay, I'll give you my very tweaked recipe. But today you'll just have to do without my masterpiece photos, cause the battery in our camera has completely given up.

Maple syrup cookies with pine nuts

Makes about 30 cookies

125 grams butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup light syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup pine nuts
Pinch of salt

Cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the syrups and the egg, mixing thoroughly. Mix the flour with the baking soda and spices and stir that in well. Add the pine nuts and the salt. Drop by spoonfuls on parchment covered cookie sheets. Bake at 190 degrees C for about 12 minutes.

*Yeah, I'm one day behind with posting on this. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment