2009-01-21

Seven cookies week day 3: Oatmeal cookies with pumpkin seeds and apricots

One of my favorite cookies is oatmeal-raisin. I love the texture, how it's both crunchy and chewy at the same time, and the warm spicy flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon. But since this week is about trying out new stuff, I thought "why not give that old classic a new twist?". Yeah, I know I said this week would be about trying out new recipes, but updating an old favorite surely counts as something new, right?

The basic recipe for this comes from The Perfect Recipe Baking Book by Murray Jaffe. I got it for Christmas from my hostfamily the year that I did a high school exchange year in the States - they knew my love of baking and they sure knew that I fell in love - too much in love - with those tasty American treats. Thanks to this baking book (which only downside is the lack of pictures) I can make all the classics: New York cheesecake, Boston cream pies, corn muffins, banana nut bread... *cue Homer Simpson drooling noices*

So, in my updated version for the very tasty oatmeal raisin cookie, I added some more crunch by switching some of the oats for pumkin seeds. I also used dried apricots instead of raisins. The result? Well, at least as good as the original. The pumpkin seeds adds a nice toasted flavor and the apricots are not as overwhelmingly sweet as raisins can be. They are still sweet, but in a more subtle and sophisticated way.

You could also make the argument that these cookies are healthier than other ones - there's some fibers and good fats - but I won't. It's cookies we're talking about. If I want healthy I'll eat an orange.

I'm sorry about some of the measurements being in cups. I have my own American measuring cups so I don't have to convert, but if you do, here's a handy conversion guide.



Oatmeal cookies with pumpkin seeds and dried apricots

Makes about 30 cookies

100 grams butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
A pinch of salt
1 cup rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup dried apricots (about 10 pcs)

Mix the butter and sugar together until the mixture is smooth and light. Add the egg. Blend the flour, baking soda and spices together and add that to the mixture. It should just blend together, do not overwork it. Stir in the oats and pumpkin seeds. Cut the dried apricots in smaller raisin-sized pieces, and add them.
Use a spoon to deposit the dough on to parchment covered cookie sheets, leaving space for spreading in between. Flatten them slightly with your fingers and make them round-ish in shape so that they will bake evenly.
Bake in a 175 C oven for 12-15 minutes until they look set. They will still be a bit soft when you get them out, but sets when they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment